gapgirlonmission

The confessions of a former shopoholic continue as I return to Belize for a second year this fall. Earlier posts tell tales from my first year in Belize as a volunteer teacher at Mt. Carmel High School in Benque Viejo del Carmen from 2004-2005. I will return to Belize this fall to work as a missionary on San Pedro, the "La Isla bonita" of Madonna's dreams and my home for the next year!

Friday, September 16, 2005

Returning to Mt. Carmel

Ahhhh. Back in Belize. It feels like I never left. My friend and fellow missionary Courtney Desmond and I arrived in Belize City on Wednesday and were picked up by a friend from the mission in Benque who brought us back to Benque where we'll stay for a couple days. It's SO fantastic to be back in Belize, especially at Mt. Carmel High School! I've been able to see so many of my students from last year, they've all grown up so much over the summer and seem to have matured into young ladies overnight! I was able to substitute some of my old classes today and to be back with these kids was just fabulous. However, Mt. Carmel is not my mission this year.

For those who don't know, Courtney, Ali Robezolli and I will be working in the town of San Pedro this year. San Pedro is to Belize what Cancun is to Mexico, if you will. The difficulties of San Pedro will be very different from the difficulties of Benque! The life there will definately be more comfortable but we will be without the strong community that we grew to love so mucn in Benque. I have several posts about San Pedro from last year, after helping the parish on the island with retreats last year Ali and I just realized that God was calling us to work there full time. The arrangement is that they have two priests who commute from Belize City and offer Mass on San Pedro and the neighboring island of Caye Caulker. Ali, Courtney and I will be assisting with Youth Ministry, Catechesis of all ages and all the other things that it takes to run a church. I ask you to PLEASE keep us and all of those who live on San Pedro in your prayers!

I was able to talk to Fr. Jim, the pastor of San Pedro Catholic Church, on Wednesday and praise the Lord, our housing in San Pedro is ready and waiting for us so we won't be sleeping on a beach or in a tent for now which I know many people were concerned about. I'll be posting more updates on San Pedro in the future, but it looks like it's about to rain outside so I'd better head out while I still can make it home!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    FINALLY...

    So good to hear you made it Benque safely. :) Please know you're still totally in my prayers.

    I spoke with Fr. Mark Wednesday night, and it made me miss Belize so much. Enjoy it.

    Peace in Him,
    Sarah Shelodn

     

Post a Comment

<< Home