gapgirlonmission

The confessions of a former shopoholic continue as I return to Belize for a second year this fall. Earlier posts tell tales from my first year in Belize as a volunteer teacher at Mt. Carmel High School in Benque Viejo del Carmen from 2004-2005. I will return to Belize this fall to work as a missionary on San Pedro, the "La Isla bonita" of Madonna's dreams and my home for the next year!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The Devil

Goodness, it's been a while, eh? There's all sorts of stories to tell, like about how Ali and I spent Valentines day running all over the country telling the youth of Belize about Chastity... Or how we just got back from La Ruta Maya, also known as "Alison's three days of camping back-a-bush... The sequel". However, what I really just need to share is what happened during out meeting with Fr. Jim this morning.

Marcos, a little boy, around seven years old, whose family is being helped by the Church right now, was sitting next to Fr. Jim as we were getting ready to begin out weekly meeting. This is the conversation they had.

Marcos: "Fr. Jim, I love Jesus."
Fr. Jim: "That's good, Marcos."
Marcos: "I love Mary too".
Fr. Jim: "That's very good, Marcos"
Marcos: "I hate the devil".
Fr. Jim: "Me too, Marcos. Don't even talk to him, just talk to Mary and Jesus".
Marcos: "Yeah. The devil is a piece of shit!"
Fr. Jim: "Well, that's true... but let's find a nicer way to say it"

Meanwhile, we all just burst out in uncontrolled laughter... Out of the mouths of babes, eh?

2 Comments:

  • At 9:57 PM, Blogger Catch Katie... said…

    jeepers alison, i came running to find out what my mom was laughing about...:) nice story there.

    y'all are in my prayers!!!!

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the good laugh...I emailed the anecdote to all my roommates. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home