gapgirlonmission

The confessions of a former shopoholic continue as I return to Belize for a second year this fall. Earlier posts tell tales from my first year in Belize as a volunteer teacher at Mt. Carmel High School in Benque Viejo del Carmen from 2004-2005. I will return to Belize this fall to work as a missionary on San Pedro, the "La Isla bonita" of Madonna's dreams and my home for the next year!

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

kids say the darndest things...

Well, as I mentioned, I asked my second form boys to write essays explaining why they make noise in class. Their explanations were pretty funny (and insightful, I think it's helping with class control a bit) and I wanted to post two of my favorite essays... Just to give you some insight into what these guys are like.

The assigned topic was: "When I make noise in class it is harder for others to learn and Miss Alison punishes us all. However, I make noise in class anyways. This is why:"

Essay #1 is actually a poem:

I always ask myself, also pray to the heavenly sky
to make us good guys.
Please teacher try to understnad us
what we want is you to get us into higher standards [standards = grades]
We love our teachers
Sometimes in class we act like Jungle Creatures
Please forgive us try to understand us
Please we are boys we have more engergy than the girls.

Essay #2 is pretty Theological:

I do not always make noises but there are times when I do especially if the class is not interesting. I believe that since it is Religion that you are teaching the devil does not want us to hear about the good things and so I am tempted to make noise.
I am aware that I should not do it because it's true that the noise I make prevent others from learning and this should not happen. Perhaps I would sit very quietly I would not be tempted.
I also truly believe Miss Alison that if you would pray wholeheartedely for me and my classmates we would pay attention in class and understand each other better.

I don't know if the humour in these will translate on-line, but I hope it can just give you a glimpse of what these guys are like... They drive me crazy but they're truly sorry when they're bad!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home