gapgirlonmission

The confessions of a former shopoholic continue as I return to Belize for a second year this fall. Earlier posts tell tales from my first year in Belize as a volunteer teacher at Mt. Carmel High School in Benque Viejo del Carmen from 2004-2005. I will return to Belize this fall to work as a missionary on San Pedro, the "La Isla bonita" of Madonna's dreams and my home for the next year!

Monday, August 30, 2004

My first day of school!

Twenty little faces… forty sets of big eyes looking at me, ready to believe anything I say. Yikes! This job is scary! So, today was my first day of school… It was a lot smoother than I expected, although I’ve had a cold the past few days so I’ve kind of been in a stuffed-up fog (it’s so odd to have a cold in tropical weather). However, God is good and I managed to talk for the whole morning and not lose my voice.

The “experts” in education tell you not to smile until Christmas and I think I scared myself with how strict I was today. It was harder to be strict with the girls than the boys. My first period, of about 20 girls, went very smoothly and then I had my class of 30 boys. They range in age from about 14-17 and some of them are my size while others aren’t any bigger than my little brother (who’s 11). Anyways, besides getting a whistle from one of them when I walked into class (if I find out who it was, they won’t have a tongue anymore…), I was very strict and they listened to me. When I began reading from scripture, I told them all to sit up straight and wonder of wonders… they did! I was shocked by my authority! I think this first day is sort of the “honeymoon” because they’re all so angelic, and I know that impression can’t be correct. You can always get nicer, but you can’t get stricter!

I’m so excited about what these kids are going to teach me. I had them fill out a sheet with questions about their interests and what they wanted to do when they graduated and so many of them wanted to go on for more education, or—and this is what was so touching—work for money to give their mother and siblings a better life. I know that they need me to be strict and demanding (and fun and understanding, but more strict for now) so that they can genuinely succeed and reach their goals, but I’m realizing now how difficult it’s going to be to be hard on these kids.

Well, I need to get down to lesson planning. I’ve survived a day and now I have no idea what I’m teaching next! (my bad, I’m an Red. Major… I’m teaching the person of Christ, all the time… But, on a more specific level, I’m not sure). On top of lesson planning, our house got five sets of shelves delivered today. Let me tell you, after living out of a suitcase all week, it was like Christmas morning to walk in and see these five sets of shelves sitting in the living room!

Thanks again for all the prayers and updates from the states!
Oh, by the way, at a friends suggestion I’ve changed my “comments” setting so now anyone who wants to should be able to comment… If that matters.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Scare those little kids while you can! That's aweomse that they're listening to you. It's so funny to hear the teacher side of things from you and Cathleen...these kids have no idea just how cool you are, they don't know about singing "Springtime for Hitler" and dancing in the hallways of Tommy More, they don't know about the evils of white socks!
    I can't wait to keep hearing about your adventures!
    Love and blessings!
    moi

     

Post a Comment

<< Home