gapgirlonmission

The confessions of a former shopoholic continue as I return to Belize for a second year this fall. Earlier posts tell tales from my first year in Belize as a volunteer teacher at Mt. Carmel High School in Benque Viejo del Carmen from 2004-2005. I will return to Belize this fall to work as a missionary on San Pedro, the "La Isla bonita" of Madonna's dreams and my home for the next year!

Thursday, September 09, 2004

so, our pirated internet continues to allow very infrequent access, which is why some of you havn't heard from me in a while. Anyways, it's been a good opportunity to appreciate the time we're given!

I just want to give an "amen" to all my FUS people who were rather vocal when a certain presidential candidate came through town. Man, who researched Steubenville as a good place to campaign!

My second week of teaching went well, today was an especially effective lesson. As my "celebration" step (for all you ecclessial methods people) to conclude the week, I played "Everything" by Lifehouse and related it to the Eucharist. The kids hadn't heard the song before and they really responded! Even my group of (now 35) boys really got into it, discussing it in class and then asking to hear it again. Some of them even copied the words I handed out into their notes. These kids LOVE music, they just eat it up when I play songs for them... the quality is so poor too, I just use my discman and portable speakers. They all have to stay so quiet so that everyone can hear it and while the music's playing, you can hear a pin drop!

Tomorrow is a holiday for Belize, so we don't have school. Being a teacher on a three day weekend beats being a student any day! We're going to head out to the Cayes, weather permitting. Rumour has it our house is getting chairs today too, so we're all pretty excited about that. However, I'm saving the fiesta for the day we get a washer... the whole hand-wash in the sink method is very difficult, I'll never take a washing machine for granted again!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    yeah! i remember listening to Everything when we were roomies as school. good job.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home