gapgirlonmission

The confessions of a former shopoholic continue as I return to Belize for a second year this fall. Earlier posts tell tales from my first year in Belize as a volunteer teacher at Mt. Carmel High School in Benque Viejo del Carmen from 2004-2005. I will return to Belize this fall to work as a missionary on San Pedro, the "La Isla bonita" of Madonna's dreams and my home for the next year!

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

God... is... Here...

as a very wise man once said to me. So, yes, I am in Benque. I arrived in Belize City yesterday with about seven other teachers. We had so much luggage that a few of us-- myself included-- got a ride with the Deacon from Benque who happened to be in the City and was headed home. He was quite a character to meet, he spent the two hour ride telling us all sorts of stories about his 28 years of ministry in Benque... When he moved here it was all mud flats, it's changed quite a bit since then. I'm in awe of the long-term missionaries here, they are living their faith at a very radical level. There's a level of down-to-earthness that seems to settle in on everyone very quickly when you look around you and see the reality of where you are and what you're doing. I guess what I mean (in my very sleep-deprived state of in-articulateness), is that I've very quickly realized that my faith that God has brought me down here and has a plan for my life here is the only way that I can walk into a (very nice, clean) but sparsely furnished house, walk into a bathroom and see a gecko on the floor next to the (cold) shower and be a bit sqeamish and uncomfortable, but joyful that I'm embracing the life God has called me to (for the year, anyways.) So, these are my initial thoughts on this crazy adventure. I need to get to a teacher's meeting. Pray for me!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home