gapgirlonmission

The confessions of a former shopoholic continue as I return to Belize for a second year this fall. Earlier posts tell tales from my first year in Belize as a volunteer teacher at Mt. Carmel High School in Benque Viejo del Carmen from 2004-2005. I will return to Belize this fall to work as a missionary on San Pedro, the "La Isla bonita" of Madonna's dreams and my home for the next year!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

american culture

First of all, thank you for all the prayers that were sent up for Bernard. He appears to be having a miraculous recovery, so much so that the doctors actually tested the poison he took to make sure it wasn't just a dud batch. He seems to be recovering both physically and spiritually. Continue to pray for him and his family!

We just had a fabulous week with a group of missionaries from Franciscan University of Steubenville (hail, steubenville, alma mater...) and I will be posting an update about both that an La Ruta Maya soon (although I'm hesitant to write about that simply because last years post was so darn good, this year will not be nearly as interesting). However, once more I have a cultural anecdote to share which will probably brighten any American's day. This also demonstrates just how most San Pedranos see Americans.

I was talking to my Standard Two (second grade) First communion class about their upcomming culture day at the Primary School.
"What culture are you doing?" I asked them.
"American, miss". They replied.
"Oh, American? What will you do for that?" I said.
In all seriousness, they answered, "swing your partner, d0si-do to dance, miss".
"Oh," I replied. "and how will you dress like americans?" I inquired.
"In two piece bathing suits and sunglasses, miss".

Yes folks, this is how a second grader on San Pedro sees American life. Interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home