gapgirlonmission

The confessions of a former shopoholic continue as I return to Belize for a second year this fall. Earlier posts tell tales from my first year in Belize as a volunteer teacher at Mt. Carmel High School in Benque Viejo del Carmen from 2004-2005. I will return to Belize this fall to work as a missionary on San Pedro, the "La Isla bonita" of Madonna's dreams and my home for the next year!

Friday, May 05, 2006

Questions kids ask...

These past few weeks have just been, for lack of a better word, neat. Now, we (as in Anne Grejdus and I) have decided that "neat" doesn't say it all the way n.e.a.t. does, which stands for "necessary, enriching, (self) actualizing times"... So when I say "neat", that's what I mean. Yes, live in Belize long enough and you too will start inventing your own language.

So, there are many neat moments that I want to post about, ranging from Easter to the Youth Jamboree to my latest visit to Benque, but time is just not abundant enough, so I'm going to stick to a story and a prayer request.

Amaroo is a twelve year old boy who goes to a Seventh day Adventist school and hangs out at our Youth Group events sometimes. He's a cute kid and is really interested in spiritual things. His parents sell jewelry outside the Church so we see him alot. He came and sat with me in Church before the Easter Vigil started and we had the following conversation:

Amaroo: "What's this for?" (holding up his candle).
Me: "It's to represent the light of Christ comming into the world".
Amaroo: "Who's that?" (pointint to Jesus)
Me: "It's Jesus".
Amaroo: "Why is he up there?"
Me: "It's a statue to remind us that Jesus died on the cross".
Amaroo: "Why did Jesus die on the cross?"
Me: "Because he loves you".
Amaroo: "Where do babies come from?"
Me: "A man and a woman... wait a minute. You can ask your mom and dad that question!"

I guess he figured since he had me on a roll about Jesus he could sneak in some real trick questions...

Tomorrow we're taking some kids to the National Catholic Charismatic conference where Ali, Courtney and I will be giving talks on Dating, Additions and Sexuality. Keep us and the youth attending in your prayers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home